Sunday, August 14, 2011

I was supposed to do what???

Hi folks!  If you are anything like me, you need notes to remember things EVERYWHERE!  I mean everywhere, I am amazed how many notes and lists I have been able to fit into the notepad in my Blackberry.  Come to think of it, maybe that's why it runs so slow.  Hmm...anywhoo today is Imagine-ation Monday at Cricut Craft Room and I am one of the featured designers.  I decided to create a new chalk/magnetic board to store my many notes and reminders.

 


So sorry for the bad lighting and my shoddy camera work.  I had to apply many more layers of magnetic paint than anticipated and it was dark by the time I was ready for my pic.  :(  You however, can learn from my mistakes and know that when you use RustOleum magnetic primer you should apply many more than the recommended 2 or 3 coats.  I have 5 as shown and still am not pleased with the strength of the magnetic qualities.  I will more than likely be adding a couple more layers.  
I used:
Teresa Collins Baby Boutique cart
Rust o leum magnetic primer paint
Chalkboard Paint
pre-cut wood plaque
Duncan acrylic paints
Swarovski crystals
Mod Podge gloss finish
resin magnets purchased from JoAnns
 I began by painting my wooden plaque with the magnetic primer, I did not actually prime the bare wood first and that is perhaps where my mistakes lies.  I then used the acrylics to paint the colors onto the plaque, selected the 3rd layer from the invite on the Teresa Collins Baby Boutique on pg. 8, cut at 9in. and Mod Podged the cut.  I added another layer of Mod Podge directly onto the plaque and then layed the cut on top, being careful not to get any more Mod Podge onto the area that was to be painted with the chalkboard paint.  While the Mod Podge was still wet, I layed my Swarovski crystals in place as it can also be used a glue as well as a sealer.  Once sufficiently dry I applied the chalkboard paint in very thin layers to the center of the cut being careful not to cover the flourishes coming towards the middle.  I used 3 layers of chalkboard paint and was pleased with the results from that.    I am very pleased with the results other than the strength of the magnetic paint.  I will definitely be working on that since I love this and want it to be able to hold whatever papers I stick up there without worrying about it falling off and losing it.  Kinda would defeat the purpose, huh?  I appreciate everyone taking the time to check out my little blog, please follow and/or subscribe and as always, I LOVE comments!  I hope you have a great day today!     
 



4 comments:

Madison said...

Hi Ricki, this is Madison, one of the new DT members:) I love your project. It turned out really cute. Just to let you know, when I used magnetic paint, I had to use 4-5 coats to get what I thought was a good hold. I used it on my bedroom wall and I had to make sure to get it on really evenly. In the end it worked and I loved it, but it was a pain to work with. Just my two cents.
~Madison funkycards.blogspot.com

Jen R said...

I love this project Ricki! I am a total list girl...I can never have too many lists and this would be just perfect. TFS!

Connie Gail said...

You did a great job on this project and it was fun seeing a project like this. This would make a great Christmas present. Thanks for sharing the how to's of this project ~ we certainly benefit from your experience. Thanks again Ricki....:O)

Ricki said...

Thanks Connie and Jenny, I'm glad you both liked it! I do too, but I believe I am going to add a couple more coats of the magnetic paint just to suit me...thanks for your experience Madison, I was starting to wonder if it was something I had done since this was my first experience with it also!