Friday, November 4, 2011

A Time For Thanks

My Cricut Craft Room 100 Cartridge Hop

Hello ladies and gents...you should have made your way here by way of  Laura's blog and if not then you definitely want to go back to the beginning at http://mycricutcraftroom.blogspot.com/ so you don't miss anything!  Yep, it's that time of year again when we all turn our thoughts to the holidays.  Naturally most of us think of Christmas shopping and the stress that goes along with it, who we must purchase gifts for, will they love it, did I forget anyone....I absolutely love Christmas but I also tend to skip ahead and stress a little over all the parties and events and sometimes forget to stop and remember all that we have to be grateful for.  I believe that Thanksgiving should be every day of the year and I try to live by that but when we are really stressed and busy I know it is sometimes hard to think about what we do have instead of what we don't have or need to do, etc.  Especially in this world where everything is so materialistic it seems.  So to slow down and remember what is important I decided to create a Give Thanks banner to decorate for Thanksgiving day and leave it up for the entire month until then just as a reminder of all I do have to be thankful for and to take a moment to appreciate it.  I began with basic brown kraft paper for the banner pennants and cut at fit to page from the Teresa Collins Chic and Scary cart.  The paper I used for the font was from the DCWV Citrus Bloom Stack

. The white background of the paper was a bit stark in comparison to the kraft paper so I inked the edges with a Tim Holtz distress ink pad in antique linen.   I also inked the edges of the pennants with Staz On ink in Timber Brown for added dimension.  The font was cut at 4 inches from Lovely Floral.



I then embellished the pennants with some die cuts and Inkadinkadoo stamps using Tim Holtz distress inks in Frayed Burlap, Wild Honey, Dried Marigold, Antique Linen, and a few were done with the Staz On Timber Brown also.  I used Mini Monsters to cut the pumpkin at 3 in and the Pilgrim Bird was of course 3 Birds On Parade and he was cut at 4.25 in.  I have to give a special thanks to Shelly Lynn for the cute little leaves on the center pennant.  We exchanged these in a swap last month and although I have the same little punch I decided to use hers just because I loved the colors she chose and I appreciated the extra little surprise!  ;)








I apologize that my pics are not as good quality as normal, I am having issues with my laptop connection so I did most of this through my hubby's iPhone and my Blackberry so my editing software had to be eliminated.  I hope you like my little project and more importantly I hope that when it gets down to the last shopping trip of the season and people may be getting a little testy in the malls, I hope you are reminded of the little things we have to be so thankful for...like having people we love enough to go through all this for just to see their face light up on Christmas morning.  Happy Holidays everyone, I'm thankful for each and every one of you as well.  You should be moving on to Madison's awesome blog because I know she has something there you'll definitely want to see!  Have a great day! 
Ricki

In Case you get lost along the way here is the line up for today hop

1.My Cricut CraftRoom- http://mycricutcraftroom.blogspot.com
2.Sharon- Sharon  http://simplysweetbysharon.blogspot.com/
3.Melissa http://pinkpolkadotscrapping.blogspot.com - - 
4.Holly  http://hollys-hobbie.blogspot.com/
5.Yvette  http://gammascreativecorner.blogspot.com/
6.Samantha http://samanthascricutcreations.blogspot.com/ - - 
7.Heather F http://www.papercrafteranonymous.com/
8.Suzy's Crafts http://suzyssimplecrafts.blogspot.com/ 
9.Tracy http://www.scrappininthewoods.blogspot.com
10.Heather S http://operationcricutdesign.blogspot.com/ 
11.Shelly http://kccroppers.blogspot.com
12.Laura  http://laurascraftsandmore.blogspot.com/ - - 
13.Ricki http://manicexpressionsdesigns.blogspot.com/
14.Madison http://funkycards.blogspot.com/ --NEXT--
15.Jen BowkerRanney -http://myimagitivity.blogspot.com 
16.Blog candy- http://ericasblogcandy.blogspot.com/

77 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Banner

Pink Polka Dot Scrapping said...

your so right this world is a lot about materialistic now adays ane we should start thinking about Family and BEING THANKFUL for the things we have already ! Love how you think! Your banner is so beautiful, thinking about scraplifting this so i too can have a thankful banner in my house too!

KAT said...

what a wonderful banner ricki. and what it represents is even more wonderful. thank you so much for reminding me to be 'more thankful'.

Jenn's Paper Crafts said...

Love your banner!!! Thanks for sharing another great idea :)

Brenda Wooten Porter said...

this is a great banner!! love it!! think I will make one too! thanks

Alisha said...

Great banner, i love the cute little bird too. Super cute.
alisha.moorenielsen@gmail.com
http://scrappin-happens.blogspot.com/

AllyBug28 said...

love the Banner :)

Robyn - injoystampin said...

Great banner! Love the cute little bluebird! :) Thanks for sharing.

Hugz,
Robyn =)
injoy_stampin (at) me (dot) com

Jenny said...

Love your banner....so cute :)

Jenny
jennykingham at att dot net

Gaylynn said...

Wonderful banner and great use of the inks also.
http://blog.neatthings-boutique.com

Liz said...

I really like banners I just don't use them enough at home, usually in my office at work. Yours is beautiful

http://tryin2craft.blogspot.com
lizabratt@comcast.net

Kards by Kathi said...

Terrific banners. I have not gotten into this yet, but am sure I will soon. I love the fact that you are using different cartridges.

Amanda said...

I SO LOVE THE BANNER!!!!and the bird is so so cute. <3 it.

Eva Laney said...

super cute banner!!! I am a new follower.
Eva :0)
evascrapslife(at)gmail(dot)com
http://evasscrapsncards.blogspot.com

Simply Sweet by Sharon said...

Ricki~ I love your banner!! The font you choose is perfect!! I am going to have to order both of these carts from Erica. I have wanted 3 birds on parade for a long time. Thank you for inspiring me.

sharon
sharonlittrell@frontier.com

ScrampingTita said...

Love them!

Jen R said...

Awesome banner. Such a great way to remember to Give Thanks every day. TFS

Madison said...

Ricki, awesome banner:) It is amazing how different paper looks when you distress it. Great job today. TFS!
~Madison funkycards.blogspot.com

Laurie said...

Love what your banner represents and its a pretty awesome banner. Love the font you used!

Karen Bahit said...

You are so right about "Things to be Thankful and Grateful for"!!! So many times we forget to be thankful!!

Love your banner and Happy HolidayS to you!! :).

Karen
http://www.facebook.com/karen.bahit

Unknown said...

So cute! What a wonderful holiday decoration. Thanks for sharing!

cbcootn said...

this is so ute and could be used in many different way and holidays and make the embleshments removeable so you could you the same banner just dfferent embleshments. tfs i'm a new follower
cbcotton @ yahoo dot com

Leslie said...

What an awesome banner! Love the thought behind it!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

Crafty and Green said...

Great Banner, Ricki! :)

Crafty and Green said...

Great Banner, Ricki! :)

Princess Cricut Cutz said...

Cute banner! Ive been in to banners but ive only used Birthday Bash ill have to try my TC cart.
thanks for sharing!

Jen L said...

I loved your Banner .... Great choice in the Font !!

MissScrapAlot said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! TFS!!!

wyme98@yahoo.com

Sweet Heart said...

love the banner! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

I think I'm gonna try a banner! Love theh birdie!
TFS!
lisa
www.allmadebylisa.blogspot.com

Lori Comeau said...

Love the banner. You did a great job on it.
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com

Maria said...

Fabulous banner!!! Love it!

Houses Built of Cards said...

Wonderful banner - and perfect reminder!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Lezlye said...

Good job on the banner..be sure to check out mine tomorrow!

Scrapbooking and Stamping with Michelle said...

Love the banner. This time of the year it is really hard to stop and really be thankful for what you do have. It is so stressful. Thanks for the reminder!

Michelle
mcoleman9641@wideopenwest.com

Kelly G said...

ooooohhhhhh! What a gorgeous banner! I have been meaning to make one for a while now!

Melissa said...

awesome banner, great idea for the nursery I run at my church, so I can teach the kids to give thanks for what they have.

cema1cema said...

very cute banner! Christina

grammiej said...

what a nice banner and perfect sentiment.
i am blessed with a wonderful life and family as you are also

time to give thanks

judy
jashmore1944@att.net

The Scrappin Diva said...

love the banner

Connie Layman said...

Love your banner Ricki and the meaning behind it. On a good note about our economy, I think it has made us think twice about being grateful for what we do have. TFS!

Becky Dunham said...

Oh Ricki - I love this banner! I am not really a banner person, but I love it for what it says and the fact that you hang it as a reminder! That is such a great idea! I always grumble that we go from Halloween straight to Christmas and nobody pays attention to the important holiday of Giving Thanks, but I am as bad as everyone else. I tend to start thinking about Christmas in September - what I want to make for people or buy but I prefer to make. The problem is I think about it but don't do it so I am as stressed out as everybody else :) Thanks for this sweet post and the reminder that we need to slow down and remember what we have to be thankful for! I am a new follower of your lovely blog.

rebeccadunham at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done!!! TFS!

Michelle said...

I think it is cute! I am making a thanksgiving banner as we speak! I love your little turkey!!! Thanks for sharing

hugs,
Michelle

rynmich92 at gmail dot com

Jamie said...

I love your banner! I'm a new follower.

jlieungh23@gmail.com
www.jamiek711designs.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Awesome banner and your right, we all need to be thankful everyday. Ricki, you did a great job, just saw the phase "scraplifting" and I love it, so may I?

Liz Seubert
17eroses@gmail.com

Laura (tweetyb) said...

Love your banner Ricki! Great job!
♥ Laura ♥
tweetyb@satx.rr.com
http://laurascraftsandmore.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

great work on your banner....I like that you keep it up all month

Unknown said...

Pretty Banner! looks like you did alot of hard work.

heatherhammen said...

Thank you for sharing botha beautiful message and a beautiful project! I am honored to be called your DT sister!

Teri said...

What a beautiful banner. You did such a great job on it. TFS

terilawson88 at yahoo dot com

Debbie said...

love the banner and also love what you said about the stress and all the materialism great insight
upnurse at aol dot com

Janeen said...

What a stunning banner! I think it's great that you will display it all month long! We all have so much to be greatful for, thanks for putting that into perspective!

Marianne said...

Loving the banner!

Dana's Crafty Corner said...

beautiful banner.

Dana
Danascraftycorner.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice banner...TFS!

Sweet Creations said...

Really cute great Job :)
Beckyssweetcreations.Blogspot.com

Kat Stachowiak said...

Love, love the banner idea!
Kat
http://scrapnhappykat.blogspot.com/

Val626 said...

Great idea, thanksgiving banner. Love it.

Basteltriene said...

Beautiful banners, great idea!

Theresa said...

What a lovely banner. I have really been into banners this past year, so I always enjoy seeing them. TFS!
firelass51@aol.com

Josie0602 said...

Wonderful banner! You are right on point about how we need to stop and remember to be grateful for all we have. Times are tough around here sometimes and I always have to realize how blessed I really am!
Tracy

Susan said...

Beautiful banner and thanks for express what means most to you and reminding us all to be thankful!!!

Anita Braddock said...

wow I love this Banner great colors and love the embelishments you added. thanks for sharing
www.anita-craft-crner.blogspot.com

CrazyQuiltCreator said...

Love your banner! I am almost getting brave enough to make one. TFS :)

Ricki said...

Hi all, I am still working from my BB but wanted to find a way to say how much I appreciate each and everyone of you taking the time to leave me such sweet comments. I also wanted to clarify that by reading this post it may sound to some like I am so at peace with the holidays and very laid back about it all, but that is in no way true. I seriously am a big spazz which is exactly why I decided to do this. As a reminder to myself. I'm thrilled if it gave you all inspiration to do the same and agree with the posts about our economy also reminding us as to what's important. It certainly isn't "stuff" and it makes me sad when I run into someone who has yet to realize that. Anyway, just a HUGE thank you to everyone who commented, are new followers, subscribed, etc and as soon as my laptop is up and going again I will come follow all of you who left me addys as well. Have a great day and a great weekend all!!! =D

Theresa said...

One idea leads to another, thanks for the inspiration! :-)

ScrappinT said...

What a great banner!!! I love it!!!

littlen said...

very nice banner. pics are just fine. tfs.
littlen44 at gmail dot com

Wendy (aka Roo) said...

Very unique & awesome banner, I absolutely love it! You rocked it!

wendydotroos2boysatgmaildotcom

Nicole said...

great banner

callyannc said...

i love this banner! perfect for thanksgiving! tfs callyann

gshrader said...

Such a great banner! and so true we should all be so thankful for what we have!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Holly said...

Love the banner! Its perfect for Thanksgiving!~

Holly

hollyshobbie at gmail dot com

Aman said...

Great banner! I agree that every day should be Thanksgiving! Your banner for the month will be a great reminder to your family! I need to make one for my house and for my classroom

amanbains1 at gmail dot com

ShersL84bed said...

Great banner.

ShersL84bed@aol.com

pruttybird said...

Beautiful banner!! TFS :)

pruttybird at comcast dot net